Dog Adoption Application
Adopting a dog is awesome!! Tell us a bit about yourself and the ideal cat for you by completing the application below. We look forward to hearing from you!
**NOTE: It has come to our attention that there is an issue with the submission of this form, centered around the "optional" fields. Please fill out ALL fields, and if one doesn't apply to you, just mark it "n/a". Sorry for the inconvenience. Please e-mail us at [email protected] if you have not heard back from us but previously filled out this form.
We realize there are a lot of questions to answer; please understand they are all in the best interest of you and the animal for which you are applying. Please take the time to carefully read and complete all questions as best as possible as they are designed to assist with placing our animals in an environment that meets their personality and needs. Our wish is for the pet and the adoptive family alike to be content with the decision, thus resulting in a permanent placement.
Please note that we cannot consider you for an adoption until we receive a completed application. We welcome your questions, but inquiring about an animal is not considered an application and a submitted application does not commit you to adopt, but is the first step toward completing the process. Only approved applications will be considered in the decision making process so if you are even slightly interested in one of our animals, you should submit an application as they find homes quickly. You should receive notification that we have received your application. If you are approved to adopt, you will be notified and typically invited to a meet-&-greet with the animal and their foster.
RULES AND DISCLOSURES
As a potential adopter, please thoroughly read the following Rules and Disclosures. Please note that entering your name to this application signifies your acknowledgement and agreement to following Rules and Disclosures.
- Generally, NKL requires all members of your family, including dogs, to be present at the time of adoption or meet the animal prior to finalizing the adoption.
- Any monies paid to NKL are considered a donation to provide care for this and other homeless pets and are NOT REFUNDABLE, but may be tax deductible. Please consult your tax adviser. NKL is a (501c3) non-profit organization.
- NKL makes every effort to assure that the animal you adopt is healthy. We do this by having each pet examined by a veterinarian prior to adoption. The exam typically includes the de-worming and vaccination of the animal against communicable diseases including: parvovirus and distemper for dogs and puppies and distemper for cats and kittens. All dogs over the age of six months are tested for heart worms and treated if necessary. All cats are tested for feline AIDS and feline leukemia. And all animals will be spayed/neutered before adoption is finalized. Occasionally, a pet may not show symptoms of an illness until after adoption, as many illnesses have an incubation period of 17-21 days. This is completely unavoidable and occurs not only in shelter/rescue type settings, but also with pet stores, breeders, and any environment where there are a number of animals present at any given time. We require that your new pet be re-examined by a vet within 7 days after the adoption. This is in the animal's best interest and the interest of any existing animals you may have. You will be responsible for all medical expenses incurred after the adoption is completed.
- NKL strives for the appropriate match of animals and adoptive families based on the known temperament of the animal, as well as, the evaluation of potential adopters and the living environment they will be able to offer the animal. If for any reason the adoption of the animal is unsuccessful, NKL requires that we are notified immediately and the animal is to be returned to NKL. In addition, NKL may claim the adopted animal at any time if it is determined that the adopters have not complied with the requirements of the adoption contract or mislead NKL at anytime during the adoption process.
- NKL has the right to approve or deny the adoption application. This application is used as part of the adoption approval process in order to determine the best home for the animal. Under no circumstances will any animal be used in any type of animal fighting activity or as an attack dog, nor shall it be kept with the intention of promoting aggressiveness or for breeding.
- The completion of this application does not guarantee the adoption. You understand that NKL will contact you if your application is approved. NKL may use our adoption contract to obtain your name and email address when you adopt one of our animals. We use your email address only for update mailings and occasional newsletters.
- I certify that I am 18 years of age or older, and have read and understand the conditions of this adoption application.
If you do not receive a response from us within 24-48 business hours, it may indicate that your mailbox has blocked or treated our mail as junk mail or spam. Please be sure to add us to your accepted mail list.
No Kill Louisville
Click here to try again.
Make sure that all fields above are filled - if a field is not applicable, please put N/A in that field.