No Kill Louisville's Pet Food Bank
2012 Northwestern Parkway, Louisville KY 40203
Hours of Operation: 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month.
Appointments are available from 12pm - 4pm.
In case of inclement weather, stay tuned to news stations and Facebook for possible closure
Phone: (502) 536-8PET (8738)
In Need of Help?
No family should have to choose between feeding themselves and feeding their pet. For some of our neighbors, providing their pets with even a basic necessity life food can be difficult. To ensure that loving pets remain happy, healthy, and at home with their families, No Kill Louisville operates a pet food bank for low or no income pet owners. As Louisville’s only pet food bank, our mission is simple: Helping People and Their Pets.
No Kill Louisville recognizes the need to promote responsible pet ownership. Therefore, recipients agree to spay/neuter their pets and to provide them with fresh water, food, and shelter daily. Food is provided in a FREE one month supply and distributed every Saturday on a first come, first serve basis. When available, the Pet Food Bank also supplies food to local rescue organizations and shelters so that they can increase rescue efforts by cutting food costs.
How can I get pet food?
If you wish to participate, you must complete an application. This application can also be picked up at our Pet Food Bank during operation hours. Photo ID is required when you sign up.
- One application per household.
- We ask for personal information when you apply but DO NOT share it with anyone and all information is kept strictly confidential.
- We reserve the right to make exceptions based on individual need.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone under any circumstances.
How often can I get pet food?
Food is distributed when donations are available. At this time, each applicant can pick up food once a month.
- We offer temporary assistance for feeding pets. We are not to be used as a permanent source of pet food.
- We are providing a service to the community and ask that all recipients only return to the food bank as they need assistance so that we can help as many pet owners as possible.
What paperwork is required?
Proof of spay or neuter is required for all dogs and cats.
- You will have 30 days to provide proof of spay or neuter for each pet. If your pet is not altered, you have 60 days to have it done. If your pet is too old or has a medical condition that prevents the pet from being spayed or neutered, you will be required to bring a note from a vet. If you are unable to spay or neuter your pets due to income, NKL will provide a voucher for services as long as we have funds available (first come, first serve basis) or provide you with information on other resources. (See additional resources)
- A copy of the latest income tax return
- A copy of the latest check stub
- A letter signed by a social worker or employee of an agency helping you get other types of assistance that confirms your income level
- Other papers that provide proof of monthly income (or lack thereof), such as Social Security Award Letter, Unemployment check stub, and/or Disability check stub.
- Food stamps or Medicaid eligibility letter
I need more food than they gave me. Why can't I get more food?
We serve many, many low or no income families each week. To ensure fairness and that their supply of pet food goes to as many families as possible, we must portion out the pet food. Portions are based on a variety of factors including the weight of animals and how much of donations we have that week.
My pet is picky or has special needs. Can I get a certain kind of pet food?
We cannot guarantee any brand or type of pet food. All of our food is donated and comes from many places and in many brands.
We consider special requests for certain formulas or flavors of dog and cat food, but we are only able to give what we have at the time the request is made.
You may receive a different brand and/or amount of pet food each time you come in.
- When you receive pet food from the Food Bank, you are aware of the potential risks involved with feeding your pet(s) a new food, since it's unlikely the pet food received is your pets usual brand.
- By accepting food and/or services from the Food Bank, all household members, their friends and family, agree not to hold the Food Bank, its staff, volunteers, and beneficiaries legally liable in the unfortunate event your pet(s) becomes ill or the food upsets the pet(s) stomach.
Can someone bring pet food to me?
We simply do not have the resources, volunteers, etc. to do this.
Can I pick up food for someone else?
First time applicants must come in to set up account and must bring Photo ID. On the application is a place for applicants to name any authorized person(s) to pick up food on behalf of the applicant. This authorized person(s) must bring in Photo ID to pick up on your behalf.
Our thanks to the following groups for donating pet food regularly:
Dare to Care Food Bank
KY Humane Society
Select Walmart locations
Select Sams Club locations
Select Kroger locations
Best Friends Animal Society
If you would like more information on participation requirements, how to donate, or how to volunteer, please contact NKL Pet Food Bank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate on-line or mail a donation to: "Pet Food Bank, PO Box 6655, Louisville, KY, 40206"
Food and Other Donations
Pet food distributed by No Kill Louisville is donated by producers, stores, and individuals.
If you'd like to donate food to help your neighbors and their pets in need, stop by our warehouse located at 3135 Commerce Center Place between 12pm and 3pm on the first or third Saturday of each month or contact us at email@example.com to arrange pick-up or a delivery time.
Donations can also be dropped off at the following during business hours:
241 Steedly Drive
Louisville, KY 40214
General Monetary Donations
These funds will be used to replenish the pet food bank and/or for other needs at the food bank such as office supplies to keep the pet food bank running so we're able to help more people.
Your Contributions Make the Difference Between Home or Shelter, Pet Food or Electricity ---> Read more about the Food Bank's effect on our community's pet owners, and then give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Your support makes it possible!