Volunteer with No Kill Louisville!
• Pet Food Bank: A big focus of ours is keeping pets out of the shelter so they aren’t in danger of being killed. In order to do this, we operate the Pet Food Bank, which is open the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month from 12:00-4:00 at 2012 Northwestern Parkway in Louisville.
Volunteers at the Pet Food Bank distribute bags of dog and cat food to the public, organize stock, clean, and schedule appointments. The Pet Food Bank also stocks other items, such as beds, pee pads, towels, leashes, etc. that our recipients can use.
• Administrative Work: We also need volunteers to help with administrative work, keep our website current, respond to internet inquiries, answer e-mails, make copies of our newsletter and other materials to hand out at events, put up flyers around town, write thank you notes to donors, and perform other related office duties.
• Lost and Found Committee: We’re working to build a committee that can run our Lost Pets Kentuckiana Facebook page, send emails, and help reunite animals with their owners. This involves a good amount of time, watching lost & found pages, Craigslist ads, and calling and watching Metro Animal Services and Kentucky Humane Society pages for matches.
• Pet Retention Committee: We also want to build a committee to help people re-home their animals with rescues all over the US. This committee, or help desk, would also respond to calls and emails regarding problems people are having with their pets and see if our services and resources would otherwise help them keep their pets.
• Grant Writing and Fundraising: Obviously, our organization cannot survive without donations from the public and businesses. To that end, we have a Grant Writing and Fundraising team that find funds that allow us to continue our life saving work. If you have experience in the area of grant writing or fundraising, please let us know and we will put you in touch with the heads of these committees.
• Event Booths: Because maintaining a presence in the community is an important part of NKL, we are looking for volunteers who enjoy working with the public, while manning booths at local events. We strive to attend events in the community at least once a month. As you will be representing NKL and talking to people about the No Kill Model, you need to be knowledgeable about how we can make our community No Kill and be prepared to share that with the general public.
Special Annual Events:
- Kentuckiana Pride Parade – Volunteers needed to man a booth and possibly walk in the parade.
- Egg My Yard Fundraiser – Volunteers needed to stuff Easter Eggs and Egg the Yards of donors that wish to participate, the evening before Easter.
- Angel Tree Program – In November and December, volunteers are needed for setting up trees, picking up supplies, sorting items, and administrative help. In January we’ll need help picking up and delivering the donated items to the rescues and shelters.
Committee & Board of Director Vacancies:
In addition to the regular volunteer openings, we sometimes have chairperson and committee vacancies.
See the Volunteer Director if you’re interested in more information.